Most of us have grown up with many popular fairy tales told to us as children. Recently I asked myself inwardly, “Are fairy tales spiritual truths for kids.. or really meant for adults? Indeed, our childhood fairy tales (children’s stories) have a great deal of spiritual application! And some of that application is indeed “surface” (for kids) and some of it is rather “deep” (for us adults).
The Holy Spirit began to reveal to me that God himself has actually been using them all these many years to instruct and teach not only children, but their parents as they read them. Many do not even know they are being instructed in righteousness.
I will share what the Spirit showed me, in my own pondering of the spiritual parallels to these fairy tales…yet my bullet points are by no means exhaustive. You are more-than-likely able to come up with other lessons and conclusions of your own. So think of this as a starting place… of fun pondering. I think you will enjoy this. Maybe even sit down with a friend for an interesting discussion!
Here we go…
Hansel and Gretel
Hard and difficult times CAN change a person’s normal personality, and even their behaviors and decisions.
- I noted in the recent Hansel and Gretel movie I watched, that the mother was in great fear, and this fear robbed her of her normal love for her children. Instead of a loving attitude, she was in “survivor” mode, and became cruel and uncaring.
- As Believers, We must prepare our hearts in advance with scriptures regarding God’s provision, and how He cares for the oppressed, so we ourselves do not let our hearts grow hard and unloving toward the closest ones to us, if times get hard!
- As Believers, We must also be aware that if other people are unloving and cruel toward us, it’s usually because they are in fear! As believers, we can help them, by not simply identifying the fears, but in sharing with them their solution, from the Word of God.
- We must become mindful in these end times, that not all people’s attitudes and behaviors will be pretty. They may indeed become horrid toward the innocent or those who “cannot contribute” to their own well-being.
The candy coated house and the grandma image was DECEPTION. The children were offered something their hearts desired… yet it was a trap…for the witch desired to eat them up.
- Satan will always appeal to the immature person with similar strategy: he will offer something that appeals to our lustful desires, or he will disguise himself in a persona that we would consider nonthreatening. In Hansel and Gretel’s case, they were shown “a loving grandma” image…and plentiful delicacies to enjoy.
- As Believers, This interpreted, would mean deception from someone who would be a lovely decent person to us…appearing wonderful, inviting, and kind…yet “who feeds our fleshly desires” without concern for morals or restraints, and causes us to stray from home, and to regularly return “for more”!
- As Believers, We must be alert always…because Our Enemy, Satan, knows we all would flee him immediately if he showed himself and his cunning deceptions…so He always appear “attractive” in person or circumstance, meant to entangle and consume us.
OPPRESSION can take us out of our original safety zone.
- Just as Hansel and Gretel were in an impoverished situation, and knew that their parents were indeed desiring to “lose them” so that they could survive themselves, so also “oppression” from people and situations can drive us out of safety, and INTO even greater danger.
- I think of modern-day young people running away because they have a hard situation at home, feeling unloved or simply not getting their own way…when they walk into even greater dangers of prostitution, or sleeping on a sofa in a strangers home, or taking a job rather than finishing school etc.
- As Believers, we must not allow oppressive situations to cause us to “run away” ! We must trust God to get us “through the trial” and “work things out together for our good.” Running from fear or oppression, will put us into danger, not spare us. Trusting God and being “led out” from faith, is an entirely different scenario.
A hard-working, humble man or woman, even of low degree, is seen by God, and destined to be brought forward, and put into an area of authority.
- Cinderella was not treated so well…For her true family, was in heaven…leaving her serving others, with their contempt evident, each day of her life. But she was of good character… both hard-working and humble…as shown by her obedience and submission, and she ended up destined to reign!
- So too we are seen of God…and He honors those who honor him. Joseph in the scriptures is another good “Cinderella story”.
- Those who are cruel to God’s people will pay for it…one way or another.
- Cinderella’s stepsisters and stepmother were passed over for favor …and love…and faithful submitted Cinderella received the favor and love her heart longed for, and that she imagined and prayed. Mordecai in the book of Esther is another Cinderella story of scripture, for he was was brought forward, and Haman, his enemy, was hanged on his own created gallows.
The fairy godmother brought the dreams to pass that Cinderella dared to dream. The Holy Spirit does the same for us.
- Cinderella asked and received…. Followed the instructions (even at a cost, for she had to leave the ball early… And then she had to wait…for resolution, which was beyond her control. It is not always “pleasant” in the waiting period…as we all know.
- The Holy Spirit works in us a willingness to do as he says, for he knows our desires, and he fulfills our God-given dreams…making them reality. Filling us with joy at a longing fulfilled. We must obey him, and yes, Sometimes we must wait on him… while he’s working everything together for good!
The Little Red Hen
We can ask for help in our endeavors, but we might not always get it.
- The little red hen went to all her different friends at all the different steps of her endeavoring to make bread, and she got the responses: not I…not I… not I… and her response was “very well then…I will then” and she did…and she did… And she did.” She cut the wheat, ground it, baked it, ate it! She worked through all of it, getting no help. Her exasperation did not cause her to quit, but instead she had a good result: she had the bread all to herself, enjoying every morsel of flavor!
Every step of the way, if you are faithful and do the work of it…you will receive the reward of your labors!
- The Little Red Hen got to eat the bread at the end! Her friends came around after all the work was done, and wanted to eat the bread too. But they were not able to have any. Why? Because they were unwilling to help in the process! They were not able to enjoy and partake of “the reward of HER labors.”
- As believers, we must be willing to share in the process of something another person or group is doing, For then we also share the reward!
- If we support and help someone serving the Lord full time, for example, we will receive a portion of their reward! Even if they are the ones whose process is happening start to finish, and we play only a small part. Or if a church has a charity activity, and we participate as a group, God sees each act of service, or material contribution, and we will share in the reward! …in this life and in the life to come!
- This same lesson is also applicable with the wife helping her husband to succeed…for she will be blessed in his success. Or children helping around the house with chores, for the entire household benefits, and enjoys the fruits of their combined labors.
If we are idle, and do not contribute to the work of the Kingdom… and we only want to take of the blessings of the labors of others, no reward will be available to us.
- What a sobering thought! Goes right with the parable in scripture of the talents found in Matthew 25. Our lives will be in vain, for we have not been good stewards.
Vanity is evil… and beauty does not last, as the Queen’s reflection showed. What’s more, jealousy and envy is very evil…for it destroys whatever’s in the way…namely “people”.
- Because this aging “Beauty” did not have true beauty within and her external beauty was fading, insecurity caused jealousy of anyone more beautiful than she. In particular, the fair, sweet girl named Snow White.
- Insecure women can cause a lot of heartache to other women! They can gossip, manipulate, criticize, and attack any other fair woman. They want the attention to themselves… Especially if they lived on admiration as on a drug. Godly women must be aware of this “reality”… and simply not let it get to them… emotionally.
- Vanity and self-absorption often alienates others…eventually that even the males in a vain and jealous woman’s life, will keep their distance…for it’s just “not worth it”.
On the other hand, Beauty of spirit will attract others!
- The sweetness of Snow White attracted the animals, the dwarfs, the huntsman, and brought her favor with all the regular ordinary people of the kingdom… For there was no vanity in her… therefore, she focused on others…and their well being.
- The hearts of “various personalities” a very “odd men” could be won… For she served them, loved them, and was honest with them and herself. She let herself be vulnerable. She knew how to trust. Those seven dwarfs loved her! and her good heart!
- Evil did not touch her … But it did put her to sleep…despite her goodness. She needed her prince to show up and to kiss her…into a happily-ever-after existence.
- As believers, we need our Savior, Jesus Christ..and his kiss…receiving his salvation and companionship…which bring us then into eternal life, and happiness forever. All our goodness will mean nothing, unless we have his sweet kiss of salvation! He is indeed our Rescuer from all Evil.
The Three Billy Goats Gruff
Beware that you CAN be deceived, and there are those who set out TO deceive.
- The three Billy goats gruff set out to deceive….and were successful, for they wanted to get across the bridge, to have the grass they wanted on the other side of the guarded bridge. (In other words, it was really “off limits”).
- You ever hear the phrase, “The grass is greener on the other side?” Just hearing within, that phrase and receiving its mentality that you are “missing out on something” should be an alert to deception desiring to have you… Either you to begin to deceive… or you being deceived yourself!
Yes, you can inquire… and still be deceived…if your lusts are involved.
- “Who steps over my bridge?” says the Troll… But, though he inquired, he was deceived!” Why? Because the strategy of the enemy is to appeal to your own lusts. You then hear what you want to hear… You believe what you want to believe… But in the end, you’ll be destroyed. If your lusts are being appealed to!
- The littlest Billy goat said “Don’t eat me…a bigger one coming” … the middle one said, “Don’t eat me…a bigger one coming”…then the big one destroyed the lustful troll. It was all part of their plan!
- Believers, you Be Aware, lest Your own lusts consume you!
- Men, that average-looking woman, that’s kind and sweet and loves the Lord, is indeed a better match for you then that blonde bombshell barbie that represents a man’s greener grass! In the end, your lust may destroy you, and your fantasy woman allude you, leaving you lonely and discontent. Don’t let that one right in front of you go without notice…”the one” God may be showing you as “your delicacy”…for in her, if His choice, all appetite can be satisfied, and purest contentment will be surely be yours. (Women, of course, the same for you, as the greener grass may be money and power. Listen closely: A poor man, full of faith, is better than a self-centered jerk with a pocketful of money!)
The Three Little Pigs
It is more about our WISDOM than it is our hard work!
- One pig worked hard and made his house of straw… One pig worked hard and made his house of sticks… And One pig worked hard and made his house of bricks. They all worked hard, as according to their own measurement of hard work. However, not all houses withstood the attack of the enemy.
- As believers, It is not so much about our working hard, as it is to have wisdom from the Lord in regard to the work of our hands.
What we build WITH makes all the difference.
- As we established, all the pigs indeed worked hard. In other words, they “did the work of it – of building their house”. But their houses were made out of different substances… straw, sticks, and brick.
- As believers, the straw represents temporal things (instant gratification), the sticks represents worldly things (putting in the hard work for what reward the world will give us in terms of money, fame, or quality of living) and the brick represents building our lives on those things eternal and that have lasting reward. No wolf can blow our house down! Our treasures are all in a safe place!
Satan will indeed huff and puff and try to blow our house down.
- He will be relentless and continue to try…
- Believers, as Jesus said in his sermon on the mount, “rains and floods will come, the winds will blow and beat upon our houses… But if we build from the right substance: on Christ and his Word, our houses, and everyone and everything in them, will survive! Amen!
Our enemy again wears a disguise!
- Just as the wolf disguised himself for the smart little pig, so Satan continues to disguise himself as our friend… so as to deceive…while his goal is to rob, kill and destroy.
- You will note that though disguised, the wolf was recognized by the pig who built his house with bricks…so even though he tried to get in through the chimney (a different entrance than the front door) the pig was ready, and already a fire going to destroy his enemy!
- As believers we have the Holy Spirit to give us discernment! You can be ready! Equipped and offensive! By the way, fire tests what we’ve built! It will destroy your enemy, yes, but also anything not built of God’s substance.
The Emperor Clothes
That poor proud Emperor! No one would speak up ! no one would warn him! so the Emperor proudly wore his nakedness…but it was to his shame! No one dared reveal his nakedness because he was the emperor after all!
- Inwardly they mocked, and had no respect… But then their own Mockery probably turned upon themselves… because they knew they were “too chicken” themselves to be honest, and to acknowledge the truth of his situation…to him, that is.
- Believers, we need not be afraid to confront wrongdoing… Poor behavior… and foolish actions, if we see others proud in their folly, yet seeing they are despised and shamed in it, as well. To ignore is not a kindness in that circumstance.
- If “love for them” is why we confront, and our purest motive is desiring to keep them from shame and folly, then indeed we must go to our neighbor directly and speak up! Prevent them from continuing in their folly!
It was fear of persecution or repercussion that caused the people to love themselves, more than they loved the Emperor enough to tell him of nakedness.
- Had the peoples’ love been strong enough, for him, they would’ve spoken, even at a cost to themselves. Had even “one” individual loved him enough to speak it would have saved him embarrassment and shame!! And in front of SO MANY ONLOOKERS! His folly was in public, and could have been avoided by privately going up to him.
- Often wise people, who lovingly give correction to another, are persecuted… For a person in their folly is not easily moved from it, no matter the sincerity of their counselor.
- Believers, Instead of whispering behind someone’s back, or gossiping about a person’s odd behaviors that have “uncovered them”, even if their own doing, it is best to talk to that person, and attempt to “cover them”. Even at a cost. One reason the world is a mess is due to compromise with blatant exhibition of improper conduct, for we simply do not desire to pay the price of confrontation, for another’s well-being, and the well-being of society as a whole.
First, the strategy: The enemy – a wolf – of the society of hens, chickens, ducks, and roosters said to himself, “I must go after the stupidest” and then having set his mark, “If I tell him a lie… I should make it a BIG one!
Satan’s strategy is exactly the same.
- This is why we as believers need to be in the word of God so that we are not the stupidest! The Word says we are destroyed for lack of knowledge! And indeed that is true. In this case, it was not a sitting duck (being exposed) but a little chicken (Naïve and unlearned) that was targeted by the Enemy!
Chicken Little’s conclusion throughout was a “false conclusion”: “The Sky is Falling”
- The Enemy can indeed feed us a big fat lie!
- We can misinterpret what is happening.
- We can exaggerate what is taking place.
- We can panic needlessly, not knowing, as we depend on our own understanding… For satan, can indeed plant lies within our minds!
The next strategy of the enemy was to undermine the faith of the masses in their qualified leaders. This, through planting questionings, doubts, lies, gossip, and here-say…
- All these years, and this strategy continues to get honed by Satan! We must be alert to this: Rebellion against God-given leadership is a serious thing. They are, or were, existing for our own protection!
The next strategy of the enemy, was to make use of flattery to bring up unqualified leadership (in this case, Chicken Little) who then easily listened to the voice of the enemy and led the public into mass hysteria.
- Does this remind you at all of our modern society? We are continuing to have the same strategies in place! Will we learn?
- Do we already have “unqualified leadership” in place of the God-given leadership? It’s worth questioning…instead of blindly following.
- Believers, does fear drive us to panic? Are we doomsaying? Or do we believe that we are in God’s care? …No matter what unqualified leadership and swayed masses may be saying, our GOD IS IN CONTROL!
Incidentally, in the story of Chicken Little… the strategy of the evil one WORKED! The entire society of chickens, hens, and roosters, were lured into a cave and trapped, and eaten by the big bad wolf! BEWARE! Satan’s strategies work! He is not dumb! SO WE MUST BECOME AWARE OF THESE STRATEGIES, in order to guard against them.
Goldilocks and the Three Bears
An intruder will eventually come in… if we leave our house unlocked…
- It is not a bad thing to guard our house (hearts). An intruder could come in, no matter how sweet or innocent they may appear, and take of what is ours…consuming, breaking, and taking over…what is rightfully ours!
Let’s look at Goldilocks as the intruder… It was the bear’s house after all!
- Let’s consider the degrees of porridge, those sizes of chairs, those resting places (beds)….
- When someone is too hot, they’re not tasty to the devil (or too big, or to firm). Even though the intruder does “sample”, or test you out a bit, he does not take to you.
- Believer, that means if you are HOT for The Lord, have stature in the word, and are affirming your beliefs strongly…no need to worry! The intruder knows to leave you well enough alone!
- When someone is to cold, they are not attractive in the least, to the devil (or you’re just not a good fit, and you’re too soft.)
- Believers, why would the intruder even bother with you?… you won’t be any threat or challenge to him! You’ve already peaked and reached your potential, for either side: good or evil. You are being of no benefit to his enemy, so why bother! Matthew 12:30 says if we are not “for him” we are indeed “against him” (in other words, on the intruders side already). And so it is.
- But when lukewarm is tasted…”yummm….i can consume ALL this one has“…and when a small chair is available, great….”I’ll rock him until he breaks to pieces!…” And that little bed, his small resting place? Well, I will lie down, and just abide right here! It’s perfect!” “He is not in his resting place, so I will move right in!”
- Believers, baby bear, and all his house stuff, represent the immature believer! The enemy will be after you and your stuff, for you are well-suited to his strategy and “comfort”… yet he is also trying to get you from “growing up”…because being immature is not a crime. He’ll eat up your food, keep you from sitting and reading the Word, and leave you no rest!
- But grow up…To do so, you just have to! That’s all. But guard yourself, and what is already yours spiritually, as you are in the maturing process.
When the rightful owners (bears) did come home…the intruder was asleep in baby bear’s bed. In their absence, she herself lost her healthy fear and went to sleep. They came home… took note of the damage… and confronted her when they found her! She ran out of the house and never returned again!
- Worthy to note: the bears were more scary to her, then she was to them! The same is true of God’s people to Satan’s vessels, be they ungodly people or demons. Christians are more scarey to our enemy (just as several bears would be to a small girl)! …for greater is He (Christ) who is in us, than he (Satan) that is in the world!
- Believers we must always be aware we have the upper hand! The house is ours! All that is in it is ours! And all we have to do is confront the enemy and they’ll flee!
- Yet the wisest thing for us to do is simply lock our doors and bolt our windows! 😉 Then no destruction can occur, even on a small scale… no consumption, no robbery, no nothing…
Little Red Riding Hood
I think we all know the tale of sweet little Red Riding Hood going to her grandmother’s house with a basket of goodies.
This pertains to those of us have been given a mission in the name of Jesus. We may be walking into the enemy territory, but we are clothed in red, the blood of Jesus… And we are sent on an errand of Mercy, for someone in need… Our hearts pure and in right motive. Still it is dangerous! Are we aware of our enemy?
On our way, the big bad wolf observes us, and devises his Strategy against us!
Awe, his strategy is that he will disguise himself! (do we see a pattern here?)
But wow, as the very person, we are going, to help?
Come on! How could this be possible?
We notice the enemy’s strategy is not only to change his looks to look like the loved one, but to use “terms of endearment” when speaking to them! We can take note, that not always when someone is nice to us does it mean they like us, or have our best interests at heart. In fact, they are out to devour us! So what do we need? We need discernment! Flattery, my friends, is indeed a weapon of the enemy. Christ will encourage us without building pride, and correct us without destroying our value. The enemy flatters to deceive and corrupt…exalting us in pride, and causing us to focus indeed “on ourselves”.
Yet, little Red Riding Hood represents the fact that in Christ discernment IS given!
- She was healthily afraid to come too close, for she was observing:
- What big ears you have! “The better to hear you, my dear”
- What big eyes you have! ” The better to see you, my dear”
- What big teeth you have! ” The better to eat you, my dear“
And then… fully recognizing the deception… she runs! Fast! And avoids getting eaten!
- Whenever I go to help anyone as a believer, especially in a foreign environment, wear the blood (my little red riding hood suit)…seek discernment…and be alert to deception! Never try to go into “the woods” (enemy territory) without being cloaked in your red riding hood suit (i.e. go under the protection of the blood of Jesus and in His Name)! Your own self-righteousness will not protect you from being devoured! Your enemy is cunning!
Conclusion and Final Remarks:
It is interesting to note that the Word says, “Except that you become as little children, you shall not enter the kingdom of heaven.” And it’s interesting to note that most of us as little children loved these stories, and received them readily. Is it because we knew we were “being taught” good from evil? And deep down in our little innocent hearts we desired to embrace The Truth? We were being alerted to the dangers of life, indeed… the lessons of life, most assuredly… and the rewards of life which came out as the “fairy tale endings!”
Is it because our loving sovereign Lord doesn’t waste anything? And that He sovereignly planned for us to hear the fairy tales (children stories) that would lead us toward Him and righteousness?
We have learned that the essence of life is revealed in simple, yet profound truths…Truths that we can now receive as adults, with even a deeper spiritual meaning…As adults we are now blessed with better reasoning skills, more developed spirits, and submitted hearts to truth. And of course, all should be interpreted through the Word of God, for whilst there are truths, in the tales, His Word is THE TRUTH, and no tale.
This blog is written simply… to celebrate that, indeed, we have received many godly truths into our spirits even as little children…didn’t we….
and we have a head start in the knowledge of what true righteousness looks like…
and yet it can only BE OURS truly, In Christ.
He is the One who came to conquer Evil.
And this is where the wisdom of God’s Word comes in! And the wisdom “behind” these fairy tales of ours too…
Written by Elizabeth Norland
August 3, 2013